Nathanael Pyron

Nathanael Pyron

Monday, January 28, 2013

Monday, January 28

With his new companion and some other missionaries on transfer day.

Dear Family,
     So it's been a while since I missed last week but things are going great. Last Monday we had transfers. I did get a new companion, Elder P. He's been out 4.5 months.  He's really cool, I'm excited for this transfer.   He's Haitian, he came to the United States when he was 9, lived in Brooklyn and Boston, got baptized at 17, and tried to get on a mission for ever but couldn't for four years because of some immigration stuff, so he's 22 now.  He's the only member in his family. He grew up going to Catholic school, and he knows the scriptures very well, probably better than me and any of my companions.  He's a great missionary and things are already picking up a lot, it's been a fun week serving with him.
     Our area also changed because of January first time changes, so we traded with Elder P and have the Cimarron Ward and the Hillpointe ward.  (We basically traded the YSA for Hillpointe) so it's fun learning a new area.  There's a lot of super cool families and more work going on.  In the past couple of days we got 7 referrals which is crazy, and some look promising.  We've got a lot of work, not THAT many lessons, but the wards are very active and have stuff for us like people to visit and all, and the area is huge geographically compared to Evergreen and Westcliff.  And the roads are not laid out like so much of Las Vegas so we've had some fun learning the area and making and marking maps and systematically making visits.  Because the mission is so young, and because of my several transfers, I know 3 zones and 4 stakes really well now so I know Vegas better then the majority of missionaries, which is weird, I've never been one for directions and all. Being senior now I drive, which is weird, but basically essential for me to learn the area, and I've got it mostly figured out now, even though we live out of our own area.  Oh and our address hasn't changed.
     Elder P is an amazing cook, and I've kind of started trying cooking a little, (not really) like just simple creations with whole wheat spaghetti, ground beef, cold cut ham and some seasonings or what not. Oh I just dropped the hem or whatever on some of my pants and might do it to some more.  The plaidish light pair if you remember those, they were way short so I hadn't really worn them since the MTC, and so I experimented by dropping those, It's great, I'm wearing them now and for my first time, and they are by far my favorite, so I'm gonna have to do some more for sure.  So yeah.  I wish I still had the time or drive or whatever, to write about our investigators and all like I used to but I don't know.
     We had a great lesson with J the other day, it was an hour and a half, he got way into it, understood better then usual, remembered a lot of things I had no idea he ever understood or anything, and he REALLY loves the Book of Mormon. He's a super dedicated kid, he has so little free time with all his sports and conditioning and he's an amazing athlete. Basketball's his favorite, but he's just getting into track and he can run a 17 minute 5k and he's in 8th grade.  We got some lessons set up with some people I hardly know with the referrals we've got and the Hillpointe investigators, but there's some very solid ones.  
     Two referrals seem so golden.  One lady M, she's super in tune with the spirit and health and all I guess.. so she takes a prayer walk every morning, always noticed she got much better communication with God when she would go by our church on the walks, and on Friday noticed a bunch of cars, went in, helped everyone set up for a women's conference, attended, and then went to church Sunday, was very active in Gospel Principles class, agreed and already knew just about everything.
     And then there's another solid referral we're meeting Tuesday.. a young couple visited her because she happened to walk into church, they talked to her, it was her first time going and then visited her, taught the whole first lesson, got her to commit to giving up coffee, read the Book of Mormon, set her with a baptismal date of February 16, and set up a lesson for us tomorrow at 3.  It's way crazy.
     And Hillpointe has another really solid investigator set with that date, and has for a while but is just waiting for a friend to get into town to watch, but she's perfect.  Unfortunately J in the singles ward canceled his baptism after talking to a Baptist friend, but it's just a really minor set back. But so yeah, things are great. I've met a lot of really cool people.
     Oh last pday this guy that has special access to the Ford Shelby Factory took us on a tour behind the scenes or whatever so that was cool, and it's also right by some Air Force special training experiment facility in the desert so there were all these super fast weird looking planes and stuff doing tricks and flying right over our heads the whole time.  
     Love,
     Elder Pyron

No comments:

Post a Comment